Saturday, June 1, 2019

Somebody They'd Like To Know Or Be

a closeup of Shelley from a 1979 glamour pic 
or a Charlie perfume ad

Shelley was THE Charlie Girl in the 1970s. Her turn as the Charlie Girl catapulted her and the brand to iconic status. Shelley told Playboy magazine, "Once, on a promotional tour, I was talking with a guy at a radio station and he wanted to know why my Charlie perfume commercials for Revlon were so successful. I suggested we make it the call-in question, because I was curious myself. The women respondents said that this girl walking into a restaurant alone - which most women are afraid to do - looking chic, but not too chic, seemed like somebody they would like to know or to be. I was their idea of a modern, liberated but not threatening woman. The men thought I was someone they would like to go out with; again, modern, not brassy and someone who, if they met me, would talk to them. Men complain about women who can't talk."

Shelley in a 1979 glamour pic for a Charlie perfume ad