Friday, June 26, 2020

1980s Hollywood Star

a closeup Shelley from a promo pic from 1988

Shelley became an overnight Hollywood Superstar in 1979 when she joined the cast of the hit series Charlie's Angels. She was thrust into the spotlight immediately after she was named Charlie's newest Angel and was hounded by reporters. "I had press people crawling in my widow," she said of the experience. The  star said, "I was totally unprepared for the press "bonanza" that followed. Shelley stayed with the series for a year and later said, "I did my year and I moved on." She added, "That was just fine. That was plenty for me." By the 1980s, Shelley was one of stars active in the Hollywood scene. She had earned the praise of very surprised critics via the stage plays Vanities, Close Ties and Born Yesterday. She had starred in the Martin Scorsese film King of Comedy opposite Robert de Niro and the soon-to-be cult classic The Stepfather opposite Terry O'Quinn, and received critical praise as well. She had starred in two TV series Cutter to Houston and Jack and Mike, which didn't last long but received praise from critics as well. She was one of Hollywood's most glamorous but underrated stars.

Shelley dons the latest gym gear in a promo pic from 1988