Saturday, August 27, 2022

Exercise in the 1980s

Shelley dons fashionable exercise gear, 1987

Exercise became a big thing in the 1980s, as women became more and more conscious about keeping fit and staying in good health. Spearheaded by Jane Fonda's Workout video tape, the exercise revolution encouraged men and women to do aerobics or some form of workout to stay in shape and to be in good health. But Shelley wasn't a stranger to exercise. As a model in the 1970s, she would go jogging or walking and would swim occasionally to stay in shape. She told one reporter in 1979, "I usually get up at 6 am, and go jogging. I'm not a six-mile nut. I'll just jog for a mile, maybe two, if I feel good. If I don't feel good, then I'll jog for a mile and walk for a mile." In 1987, Shelley appeared on the cover of Health magazine promoting walking as a form of exercise.

Shelley dons fashionable exercise gear, 1987