Saturday, May 11, 2019

Shelley's First Leading Lady Role

Shelley on the cover of the Japanese-language soundtrack
of If Ever I See You Again

In 1978, she got her first leading lady role opposite screenwriter, director, producer, and composer Joe Brooks in the film If Ever I See You Again (which spawned the hit single with the same title - as interpreted by Roberta Flack). The film was a sort of follow up to the 1977 smash You Light Up My Life (a single was composed by Brooks as well.) The film was panned by the critics and was a box-office flop, but it had and still has its share of fans who appreciate the film. Shelley was cast in the role of Jennifer Corly. During the auditions, "When Shelley walked into the room, I turned to my assistant and said, 'She's got it!'" Brooks told one reporter.

Shelley in a Japanese movie flyer
for If Ever I See You Again