Monday, March 21, 2022

Rise and Fall of Angels

Shelley on the cover of Woman, 1979

Shelley became Charlie's Angel no.5 in 1979, taking over the slot vacated by Kate Jackson. Kate, who was let go at the end of season 3, admitted that she did cause a few problems on the set. She said, "What it comes down to is I got tired of them (the producers)- and they got tired of me! I'm glad that I have finally been able to hang up my halo." It was later revealed that her enthusiasm for doing the series was diminished when Spelling/Goldberg didn't allow Kate time off from doing Angels to film the movie Kramer vs. Kramer (Kate was the first choice for the part of Joanna.) Shelley was a certified Supermodel by then and was known all over the world as THE Charlie Girl from the Revlon Charlie print ads and commercials. Her popularity was just the boost the show needed as it dropped from no.5 to no. 12 in the Nielsen ratings during it's 3rd season. Shelley had the right background and right look that blended well with incumbent Angels Jaclyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd. "The series is great for me because I get to work every day. And I'll stay with it as long as it lasts," Shelley said.

a writeup about Shelley and Kate Jackson from Woman, 1979