Saturday, April 13, 2024

Near-Sighted Supermodel

Shelley in a publicity pic from 1978

Shelley's first leading lady role came in the 1978, in film If Ever I See You Again. She was handpicked by producer/director/leading man Joe Brooks to play the part of artist Jennifer Corly, his love interest in the film. When she walked in to audition for the role, she was immediately hired. Brooks told one reporter, "When Shelley walked into the room, I turned to my assistant and said, 'She's got it!'" He thought she was perfect for the role. Also, he insisted she wore her glasses throughout the film.

Shelley in a publicity pic from 1978

When modeling, Shelley would usually remove her glasses. She told Playboy magazine in 1980, "I'm near-sighted and though I wear contact lenses now, I didn't then." Earlier in 1974, she told Cosmopolitan magazine, "I have adjusted to seeing without them. That is, I've learned to relax without my glasses, so the expression on my face doesn't look strained." So basically, Supermodel Shelley couldn't see the people watching her work. But for her role in If Ever I See You Again, she wore her glasses during the filming of the movie. Shelley admitted, "With them on, I felt very exposed."