Thursday, May 5, 2022

Going Along Swimmingly

Shelley in a 1979 promo pic for Charlie's Angels

Shelley joined the cast of the phenomenal hit TV series Charlie's Angels in 1979 during its 4th season. She took over from Kate Jackson who left after the 3rd season. Since it starred women as leads, the series was always unfairly plagued by rumors of catfights and jealousy on the set since the series debuted in 1976. The 4th season was no different. Immediately, tongues started wagging about the three main stars not getting along. But Shelley dispelled the rumors by saying that Jaclyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd had been nothing but nice to her. Shelley told one reporter of her new co-stars, "It's fun to work with them. We giggle a lot during lunch." Jaclyn said, "I feel good about her. When we shot a scene, I felt comfortable with her. I think the three of us are going to get along great." Cheryl said, "Shelley seems like a terrific girl. I know what she's going through because it wasn't too long ago I was in her position. I think she's good and I'll do everything I can to make her feel at home."  Everything was going along swimmingly with this new Angel team.

Shelley in a 1979 writeup about Charlie's Angels