Sunday, November 17, 2019

Superstar 1979

Shelley on the cover of the Greek magazine Manina, 1980

Shelley became Charlie's newest Angel in 1979 when she took over Kate Jackson's empty slot in the original TV series Charlie's Angels. Many magazine and tabloid reporters, as well as and paparazzi/photographers, rushed her. Many things (true and untrue) were written about her. "Yesterday, I was a schnook, and today I can't get across the street" is how Shelley described her sudden rise to superstardom. "It has been quite a whirl," she said. In St. Thomas, at the Caribbean, where the Charlie's Angels season opener was to be shot, she described, surprised, "When I got off the plane, there were maybe eight million paparazzi. I looked around for Sophia Loren. It was for me. I couldn't believe it."