Sunday, August 4, 2024

Paparazzi at LAX

a closeup of Shelley
from a paparazzi pic, 1979

Shelley's debut episode on Charlie's Angels, "Love Boat Angels," was partly filmed in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. By then, Shelley's Angels casting was widely known around the world and press coverage on the new Angel was at an all-time high. "Yesterday, I was a schnook, and today I can't get across the street" is how Shelley described her sudden rise to Hollywood superstardom. When they arrived at the Caribbean, she said in astonishment, "When I got off the plane, there were maybe eight million paparazzi. I looked around for Sophia Loren. It was for me. I couldn't believe it." The same was true when they returned from the Caribbean. The paparazzi was at the L.A. Airport (LAX), waiting for their arrival. But this time, Shelley was ready with her chic dark sunglasses.

a paparazzi pic of Shelley
at the L.A. Airport, 1979