Monday, July 6, 2020

Summer Job

a closeup of Shelley from an ad for Arnel fabric, 1965

Shelley began modeling in 1964. She was discovered by no other than George Huntington Hartford II, the heir to the A&P supermarket empire at a debutante ball. "This guy kept bothering me," Shelley said, "He told my father that I was a new face." To which her father replied, "She’s not a new face around here, and I wish she’d take out the garbage and wash the dishes." She later appeared on numerous magazine covers, editorials and print advertisements. "I was brought up not to close doors," said Shelley, "Modeling was a great summer job. It beat waitressing." Modeling remained a sideline however, as Shelley concentrated on her studies. Shelley said, "The Ford Agency would send out a little card that said, 'Shelley Hack will be back June 1.'"

Shelley in an ad for Arnel fabric, 1965