Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Charting Her Own Course

Shelley on the cover of F.Y.I. magazine, 1984

Shelley was one of the highest-paid Supermodels prior to joining Charlie's Angels in 1979 (she was known around the world as THE Charlie Girl) and has had a few acting credits under her belt. She decided leave Angels after a year and went into acting full-time. She immediately tackled stage a via the Jack Heifner play Vanities and gained critical praise. "I don't know how I got the guts to go right into a play immediately after leaving the series,” Shelley said. "I started doing theater for the first time in my life although I'd never been on a stage before." She later starred in two more plays - Elizabeth Diggs's Close Ties and Garson Kanin’s Born Yesterday - and was praised for her performances. In 1983, she starred in Martin Scorsese's The King of Comedy with Robert De Niro, Trackdown: Finding the Goodbar Killer with George Segal, the TV movie Found Money with Dick Van Dyke and Sid Caesar. To cap off her busy year in 1983, Shelley joined the cast of the medical drama Cutter to Houston alongside Jim Metzler and Alec Baldwin. She chose her projects carefully and was charting her own course.

a writeup about Shelley from F.Y.I. magazine, 1984