Saturday, March 9, 2024

Japanese Souvenir Program 3

If Ever I See You Again
souvenir program, Japan 1978

In 1978, Shelley got her first leading lady role in the film If Ever I See You Again. Shelley was cast in the role of Jennifer Corly, the main protagonist's love interest. The producer and leading man of the film, Joseph Brooks, told one reporter, during the audition process, "I saw scores of girls on the East Coast, the West Coast and points in between - and SHE walked in. I know that sounds overly dramatic. But when (Shelley) walked into the room, I turned to my assistant and said, 'She's got it! She's got the part.'" Shelley's side of the story, "I was amazed at how quickly Joe made up his mind. I didn't read for the part or take a screen test. I walked in and he told the other people in the room that I was the girl he was looking for." The film didn't do so well at the box office; but the title song "If Ever I See You Again" as interpreted by Roberta Flack reached #24 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The film was released worldwide including in Japan, where the film's original soundtrack and a souvenir program were produced.

If Ever I See You Again
souvenir program, Japan 1978