Saturday, March 16, 2024

Winter Fashions '74

Shelley modeling the latest
in winterwear, 1974

Discovered at a debutante ball, Shelley started out as a part-time teen model in the '60s (she was still in school) but by 1974, she was a full-time top model. "The clients respond to my all-American face," Shelley told Cosmopolitan magazine in 1974. She said, "It doesn't mean I don't have problems. First of all, there are my glasses. I have adjusted to seeing without them. That is, I've learned to relax without my glasses, so the expression on my face doesn't look strained." She added, "And then there is my face, which I think of as irregular. My smile is crooked and so is my nose. I correct my crooked nose by using a little brown shadow down the center. There is very little I can do about my smile except control the upper left side without looking stiff." She stressed that "It's my professional obligation to my client to look my best."

Shelley modeling the latest
in winterwear, 1974

When asked how she got to the top of her profession, Shelley said, "You just have to become objective about yourself." She figured, "I was a success because I was hard-working, professional, bright. I looked at the business and identified the markets. I knew the key was that they always wanted someone new. I decided to hit one market one year, then cut my hair and hit another. Then let it grow and hit television. I thought it through. The game plan can apply to any business, but especially to one where you're the product." In 1974, she appeared on the cover of the French mag Collections Magazine, on their Winter (Hiver) 1974 issue. Check it out at: Cover Girl '74

Shelley modeling the latest
in winterwear, 1974