Sunday, January 17, 2021

Rag Sheet Angel

a promo pic of Shelley from 1978
 
Shelley became Charlie's Angels no. 5 in 1979 and was instantly a Hollywood superstar even before filming anything for the hit TV series. She was suddenly thrust into the limelight and became a rag sheet target overnight. Suddenly, everything she did was being written - true and untrue. In 2002, she told TV Tales, "There's a downside to this stuff." One of the first stories that came out was about her was her on and off relationship with screenwriter and director Nicholas Mayer. "I feel badly when I read things about myself that aren't true - like the fact that I just broke up with my long-time boyfriend writer-director Nicholas Mayer. That bothered me terribly. We're still very much together and people print lies." Like the Angels before her, she had entered the virtual fishbowl, the "rock star space." She added, "I was totally unprepared for the press "bonanza" that followed."
 
a rag sheet writeup about Shelley from 1979