Sunday, January 24, 2021

Serious About Her Work

a promo pic of Shelley from 1978
 
Shelley was a part-time model in the 1960s. But after graduating from Smith College in 1970, she became a full-time model. She was represented by Ford Models, Inc. and was one of the most successful models of the era. She worked hard and was serious about her profession. "The clients respond to my all-American face," Shelley told Cosmopolitan magazine in 1974. She explained, "Models look at themselves differently than other women. I used to look in the mirror and just stare and reflect. (Now) I'm interested in what needs repairing. Is my shadow running? Have my cheeks started to pale?" Shelley added, "As far as (my father) was concerned, I was in business, the business of selling my face."
 
a writeup about Shelley from 1978