Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Just Deal With It

Shelley in a promo pic from 1979

The proclamation of Shelley Hack as Charlie's newest Angel made her a Hollywood superstar overnight. Her face appeared on virtually every magazine in the world; and she was even mentioned in the evening news. "I couldn't believe it. What was I doing in the evening news?" Shelley exclaimed. In St. Thomas, at the Caribbean, where the Charlie's Angels season opener was going to be shot, she described, surprised, "When I got off the plane, there were maybe eight million paparazzi. I looked around for Sophia Loren. It was for me. I couldn't believe it."

Shelley in a 2-page spread
for the Japanese fan magazine Screen, Nov 1980

Many magazine and tabloid reporters, as well as paparazzi photographers, rushed to her. Many things (true and untrue) were written about her. "Yesterday, I was a schnook, and today I can't get across the street" is how Shelley described her sudden rise to Hollywood stardom. "It has been quite a whirl," she said. "I was surprised by the amount of attention, but I had done a lot of press before. There was so much to do then, so you just deal with it," she added.

Shelley in a promo pic from 1979